My favourite things from a very chilled out week on the Greek island of Santorini, a volcanic haven in the deep blue Aegean Sea (basically a list of all the stuff I did when I wasn’t sitting in the sunshine eating cheese).
2. Walk around the lovely village of Pyrgos, make friends with alley cats and friendly donkeys, explore the quiet churches and ruined castle on the hill and have a coffee at Franco’s Cafe, looking out over the island.
3. Visit the charming Atlantis bookshop in the all-white, cubist village of Oia to pick up curious editions, Greek cookery books, travel diaries and their own lovely little guide to Santorini.
4. Walk along the beach at Kamari and feel the hot black sand under your toes.
5. Swim in the hot springs off the islet of Palea Kameni. Volcanic activity warms the shallow waters in one of the island’s coves, making it a weird and wonderful place for a wild swim. The island is inhabited by a hermit and his chickens, who you might see pecking about on the rocks as you float in the warm sulphuric water.
6. Try a glass of the local Vinsanto, a deliciously sweet and dangerously easy to drink dessert wine produced by the island’s vineyards.
7. Laze about in the sunshine by the side of one of the beautiful pools which dot the western side of the island and take a dip with stunning views across the caldera.
8. Walk out to Skaros rock. Once a fortified settlement, now only a few ruins remain of the houses which once dotted this outcrop, jutting out into the sea, but the panoramic views of the caldera and the island from the top are spectacular.
Style on Santorini: Sugarhill boutique Bea beach dress, £44.80 from House of Fraser. Black swimsuit, from a selection from Very. White kaftan, from a selection from TK Maxx. Straw hat, from a selection at Accessorize.